Commonwealth Youth Forum
Apply to attend the Commonwealth Youth Forum
20 – 25 June 2020, Kigali, Rwanda.
Are you a youth leader from the Commonwealth aged between 18 and 29 years? Do you have experience in youth advocacy or development? Are you part of a youth serving organisation working for the engagement and empowerment of young people?
Register your interest in attending the Commonwealth Youth Forum (CYF) by 20 March 2020 and make your voice heard.
About the Commonwealth Youth Forum:
The Commonwealth Youth Forum, hosted by the Government of Rwanda, and co-organised with the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth Youth Council, is one of the four fora preceding the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in June 2020 to help set the agenda for the meeting between Heads of Government.
The event brings together 500 exceptional youth leaders from across the Commonwealth to exchange ideas and share experiences, build skills and networks, identify the most vital challenges and opportunities facing young people today, and make recommendations to decision makers at the highest level.
The theme for the 2020 Commonwealth Youth Forum is “Taking Charge of Our Future”. Following closely to the main CHOGM theme of “Delivering a Common Future: Connecting, Innovating, transforming”. The CYF will offer a platform for young people to deliberate on these priorities from a youth perspective. ‘Taking Charge of Our Future” is the young people’s response to the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting theme, reaffirming the powerful potential of young people across the Commonwealth in leading the pathway to the future they envision and being the change they want to see in their countries and Commonwealth at large.
The youth leaders will explore the role of young people of the Commonwealth through four main sub themes, which are:
- Trade, Entrepreneurship, and Employment
Promoting youth employment and growth of trade opportunities.
2. Technology and Innovation
Advancing common cyber future, sustainable urbanization and building commonwealth innovative ecosystem.
3. Youth Development: Inclusive, Equitable, and Accessible Opportunities
Exploring strategies to develop youth through a holistic approach, building competencies and providing access to resources and opportunities.
4. Governance and the Rule of Law:
Youth Leadership in Decision-making Understanding the concept of justice and the rule of law, ensuring young people’s participation in governance and decision making.
5. Environment: Climate Change and Sustainable Blue Economies
Young people being at the forefront of response strategies, innovation and policy making concerning climate action and sustainable blue economies.
The outcome document from the Forum will feature policy proposals which can be readily adopted by the Commonwealth Youth Council and thematic youth led networks, National Youth Councils, Commonwealth countries themselves, or by the Commonwealth.
How do I register my interest?
Complete the online form at:
Successful applicants should:
• Be a recognised member of a national youth-led body, or represent a youth organisation or special interest group (such as indigenous young people, young people with disabilities, rural youth, young people from diaspora communities, etc.)
• Demonstrate an interest in global and Commonwealth issues and working with other young people towards the success of local, regional youth organisations, as well as the Commonwealth Youth Council and its continuation.
• Be committed to working in their respective countries with youth leaders, young people, youth organisations and special interest group as part of the preparatory work prior to attending and after the forum. This includes disseminating learnings and engaging with the Commonwealth Youth Council and other stakeholders to assist implement outcomes from the forum.
• Be dedicated to strengthening dialogue between young people of the Commonwealth.
Successful applicants will be responsible for organising and paying for their own flights to Rwanda and organising and paying for their accommodation, meals and on-ground travel for the duration of the Commonwealth Youth Forum. Successful candidates must also hold a valid passport and obtain a visa for entry to the country. Visas can be obtained on arrival.